Peace Winds Japan
Location of activity: Kakuma Refugee Camp, Kalobeyei Integrated Settlement and Host Communities in Turkana West Sub-County, Turkana County
Duration: 12 Months (From January 2021 to December 2021)
Direct supervisor: WASH Coordinator
About Peace Winds Japan
Peace Winds Japan (PWJ) is a Japanese Non-Governmental Organization established in 1996. PWJ has been providing humanitarian and development assistance for people affected by forced displacement and natural disasters in more than 20 countries in the world.
PWJ launched its mission in Kenya in 2012 and has been implementing projects funded by UN agencies and the government of Japan in shelter, WASH and youth development to improve living environments of refuge and host populations while promoting peaceful coexistence and self-reliance in the communities in Dadaab, Kakuma and Kalobeyei.
In Turkana West Sub-county, PWJ is actively engaged in promoting sustainable solutions for protracted refugee situations through its shelter and WASH projects in line with the National Government of Kenya as well as County Government of Turkana plans and strategy; clearly integrated in the Kalobeyei Integrated Socio-Economic Development Programme in 2018.
Purpose of the Position
Oversee the implementation of Hygiene and Sanitation activities in communities and targeted schools to promote positive behavior change. Develop strategies and plans to implement sanitation and hygiene programs such as Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) , Social and Behavioral Change Communication(SBCC) for hygiene promotion, Market Based Sanitation(MBS), community based solid waste management, WASH in school(WinS) and support community agents such as CLTS facilitators, hygiene promotors and community based organizations for their capacity building and their daily activities. Progress monitoring and reporting is one of the key roles of the officer. Close coordination with relevant partners including the county government is required for efficient implementation of the .
Roles and Responsibilities
1. Develop a work plan for each WASH related project activity and implement the plan in a timely manner.
2. Develop strategies to implement the project activities such as CLTS, MBS, WinS based on the needs and contexts in the beneficiary communities
3. Strengthen community engagement through participatory planning and monitoring on the project implementation
4. Organize and conduct technical trainings for community agencies such as CLTS facilitators, Hygiene Promotors, Community Health Volunteers, community groups related to water, sanitation and hygiene and shelter activities with guidance and support from WASH Coordinator and Construction Engineer.
5. Provide continuous mentorships for CLTS facilitators and hygiene promotors for ther WASH activities in the communities
6. Provide technical assistance for the community agents and beneficial communities on construction/installment of WASH related facilities e.g. toilet, hand washing facility, refuse-pit and dish rack, etc.
7. Develop effective SBCC strategies for hygiene promotion and support CLTS facilitators and hygiene promotors to carry out regular hygiene promotion activities using the SBCC strategies and community dialogues in respective communities to engage communities to improve hygiene standards
8. Support CLTS facilitators and hygiene promotors to develop the ODF work plans for their communities and collect relevant data to meet the reporting requirements for CLTS activities.
9. Together with CLTS facilitators, hygiene promotors and community leaders, conduct needs assessment for material support for construction/installment of the WASH related facilitates and distribute the materials to the selected beneficiaries accordingly.
10. Develop sanitation marketing strategies with CBOs and private sectors for sanitation and hygiene and involve CLTS facilitators and hygiene promotors for carrying out social marketing activities
11. Support CBOs to develop and implement a business model of sanitation and hygiene services and link them with the established business partners
12. Collaborate with the PWJ engineering sector to support beneficiaries of Cash Based Intervention(CBI) for permanent shelter and household toilet for timely and quality construction of household toilet
13. Coordinate with education partners and schools to implement School Led Total Sanitation(SLTS), star school awarding and any other activities to promote sanitation and hygiene among school going children
14. Provide technical assistance to the PWJ engineering sector for designing and construction of WASH facilities in the communities and institutions.
15. Conduct regular field visits and meetings with CLTS facilitators and hygiene promotors to monitor progress of planned and implemented activities and provide weekly, monthly and quarterly report on WASH, and any other required programme reports by donors and partners.
16. Collect community success stories each month to highlight impact of the programme activities among the targeted beneficiaries.
Qualifications, knowledge and Experience Required
• Higher Diploma in Public Health/WASH/Community Development or relevant field.
• Bachelor’s degree in the mentioned field is preferable.
• Five years’ hands-on experience on implementation of Water, Sanitation, Hygiene activities especially participatory approach such as CLTS and market based sanitation is highly considered.
• Experience in working with displaced communities is preferable but not a must
• Strong community engagement and facilitation skill
• Ability to observe and understand cultural and social contexts and reflect the understandings in programing
• Livelihoods experience will be an added advantage
• At least 3 -4 practical experience with M&E frameworks and data collection tools
• Excellent analytical and report writing skills
• Ability to infuse positive energy to the team
• Ability to organize tasks simultaneously and prioritize work
• Proficiency in English and Kiswahili
• Computer literate in Office Package and hands on experience, analytical software such as SPSS is a preferable
How to apply
This position is based in Kakuma, Turkana County, Kenya.
We are looking to recruit national candidates only. Interested and qualified candidates are cordially invited to send a cover letter (1 page) and resume (2 pages) as one pdf document no later than 7th January, 2021 to: email@example.com In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for taking this post.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. For more information about Peace Winds Japan, please visit https://peace-winds.org/en/
Important Safety Tips
1. Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.2. If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org